Vote now in the Tolkien Society Awards 2021
The Trustees of The Tolkien Society are pleased to announce the shortlist for The Tolkien Society Awards 2021. Voting is open exclusively to members of the Society through the Members’ Area.
The shortlist for the Awards is as follows:
- “A Year at Bag End” by Soni Alcorn-Hender
- “Elf-warrior: Sam at the Tower of Cirith Ungol” by Jay Johnstone
- “He Beheld a Vision of Gondolin Amid the Snow” by Ted Nasmith
- “Inside Information” by Norloth/Wenjin Lu
- “Defining and Defying Darkness,” by Verlyn Flieger in Mallorn 61, winter 2020
- “The Forest Haven Episode: How Sir Gawain and the Green Knight’s Hautdesert Shaped The Lord of the Ring’s Caras Galadhon” by Andoni Cossio (Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment, December 2020)
- “Greed and Blood: Powerful Objects in The Silmarillion and Javanese Book of Monarchs” by Putri Prihatini
- “Letting images speak for themselves: Tolkien’s rebus letter to Fr. Fancis Morgan, August 8, 1904” by Denis Bridoux (Beyond Bree, December 2020)
- “Tolkien’s Work on the Oxford English Dictionary: Some New Evidence From Quotation Slips” by Rachel Fletcher (Journal of Tolkien Research, issue 10, vol 2, 2020)
- Fantasies of Time and Death: Dunsany, Eddison, and Tolkien, Anna Vaninskaya
- Gleanings from Tolkien’s Garden, Renee Vink
- Hither Shore 14: Literary Worldbuilding (ed. Thomas Fornet-Ponse)
- Unfinished Tales (illustrated edition), J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien, John Garth
Best Online Content
- The Alliance of Arda (allianceofarda.org)
- Tolkien Art Index (tai.tolkienists.org)
- TolkienBooks.US (tolkienbooks.us)
- Tolkien Experience Podcast (luke-shelton.com/tolkienexperiencepodcast/
- Music of Middle-earth Podcast (facebook.com/musicofmiddleearthpodcast)
Outstanding Contribution Award
The recipient of the Outstanding Contribution Award 2021 has been selected by the Trustees and will be announced in due course.
Every member will be able to vote once in each category via the Members’ Area of this website.
You have until midnight on Friday 9th April to vote.
If you’re not a member but would like to take part, join the Society now.
About the Author: Shaun Gunner
Shaun is the Chair of The Tolkien Society. First elected in 2013, Shaun has overseen the Society's expansion from 600 to 3,500 members. Shaun regularly speaks about adaptations of Tolkien's works and the future of Tolkien scholarship whilst passionately believing the Society needs to reach out to new audiences. In his spare time he can be found playing video games and Lego, or on Twitter. He also chairs another charity, Mankind, and is a local councillor.