Journeys & Destinations is the collected papers from the 22nd Tolkien Society Seminar held at the Sir John Soane’s Museum, London, in June 2009. The Society’s seminars are an invaluable source of interesting, intelligent and sometimes unusual Tolkien scholarship, with the papers being followed by fruitful discussions.
The 54-page booklet is edited by Ian Collier, with a cover photo provided by Julie Sinclair, and brings together the papers given for others to enjoy the papers given by the likes of our Archivist Dr Pat Reynolds, Sue Bridgwater, Anne Marie Gazzolo, Dr Antonio Sanna, and Mick Ennis and the children of the Ironville and Codner Myth and Magic group.
The concept of ‘journey’ is taken in different ways by each paper and should provide readers with some interesting insights:
- “‘I have something to do before the end’: The Journey of Samwise the Stouthearted” by Anne Marie Gazzolo
- “Rings and other Things – Possession and the Possessed” by Patricia Reynolds
- “Dragons, Dreams, Myth & Magic” by Mick Ennis and Ironville School group
- “Stay or go; some reflections upon stasis and travelling in Tolkien’s mythos” by Sue Bridgwater
- “Travelling over/into the Feminine Body and Mind: An Analysis of the Metaphorical Journey of the Fellowship in Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings” by Dr Antonio Sanna
Publication Date: 2015
Publisher: The Tolkien Society
N.B. the print edition has sold out but the e-book version is still available.
You can find the e-book version under ISBN 978-0905520230. The Kindle version is available here.