How to Apply
To apply for a Tolkien Society Bursary, you first need to complete a Bursary Application Form.
As part of the application you will need to upload proof of enrolment at your institution (for example a scan of a letter on headed paper, signed by your supervisor or department administrator) and a copy of your CV/resume.
There is no closing date for applications. However if you are applying for a Bursary to support attendance at the Tolkien Society Seminar or Oxonmoot, you should ensure you submit your application before the closing date for the relevant Call for Papers as we will assess the Bursary Applications and Papers at the same time.
If you are applying for support to present a paper at a Tolkien Society event (the Seminar or Oxonmoot), you will also need to submit your paper to relevant call for papers.
In the case of applications for support to present a paper at another event, you will need to provide details of you paper and the event you intend to present it at as part of your application
For support with expenses in connection with your research, you will need to provide details of the support you are requesting and how you intend to disseminate your research on completion as part of your application.
Decisions on which applications are successful will be made periodically through the year. Decisions on applications to support attendance at the Tolkien Society Seminar and Oxonmoot will be made not later than one month after the close of the relevant call for papers.
- You do not need to be a registered member of Oxonmoot to apply for a Bursary to support presentation there – if you are successful you will automatically be registered. If you have already paid for registration, this will be refunded if your Bursary application is successful.
- Applications for support to present a paper online at Oxonmoot will only qualify for support for the registration fee.
- If you do not live in the UK and plan to present a paper in person at the Tolkien Society Seminar or Oxonmoot (in Oxford), you should ensure you are familiar with any travel restrictions for entry to the UK.
- You may only submit one application per year.
- No-one may be awarded a Bursary more than twice.
- Full Terms & Conditions for the Tolkien Society Bursary can be found here.