The Tolkien Society Seminar 2018 will be held on Sunday 1 July in Leeds at the Hilton Leeds City.
Call for Papers
Tolkien the Pagan? Reading Middle-earth through a Spiritual Lens
The Tolkien Society invites individuals from both scholarly and non-academic backgrounds who have an interest in Tolkien to apply.
Papers may consider, but are not limited to, the following topics:
- Characters’ faith and devotion within Tolkien’s narratives
- Non-Christian readings of Tolkien’s fiction
- Neo-pagan movements based on Tolkien’s mythology
- Invented religions in fantasy fiction
Considering the nature of the conference’s topic, delegates are encouraged to exercise restraint and be mindful of the individual beliefs of their fellow conference-goers.
We are now accepting proposals for 20-minute papers, followed by questions. Prospective speakers are invited to send abstracts of no more than 300 words, along with a short biography, by Friday 6 April.
About the Seminar
The Tolkien Society Seminar is a one-day conference of academic of talks and panel discussions on a specific theme. Held most years since 1986, the date and venue used to vary each time, but it is now held in Leeds on the Sunday before the start of the International Medieval Congress (IMC).
There will be six Tolkien-related sessions at the IMC in 2018:
- Memory in Tolkien’s Medievalism, I (Monday 2 July, 11:15–12:45)
- Memory in Tolkien’s Medievalism, II (Monday 2 July, 14:15–15:45)
- ‘New’ Tolkien: Expanding the Canon (Monday 2 July, 16:30–18:00)
- Tolkien: Medieval Roots and Modern Branches, I (Tuesday 3 July, 14:15–15:45)
- Medieval Roots and Modern Branches, II (Tuesday 3 July, 16:30–18:00)
- Tolkien in Context(s): A Round Table Discussion (Tuesday 3 July, 19:00–20:00)
Registration costs £25 for members and £30 for non-members, and includes refreshments throughout the day, catered breaks and sandwiches for lunch.
Hilton Leeds City, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4BX
The hotel is roughly three minutes from Leeds train station. Leave the station via the main exit near Marks and Spencers. Cross the road via the pedestrian crossing and go down the staircase to the right of the taxi rank. At the bottom of the stairs take a right and continue along the road and under the recently refurbished railway bridge. Hilton Leeds City is located approximately 200m on the right.