The editors of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review have announced the expected contents of volume 14.
It is due to be published later this year in softcover and on Project MUSE.
- H.L. Spencer, “The Mystical Philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkien and Sir Israel Gollancz: Monsters and Critics”
- Christopher Gilson, “His Breath Was Taken Away: Tolkien, Barfield, and Elvish Diction”
- Kathy Cawsey, “Could Gollum Be Singing a Sonnet? The Poetic Project of The Lord of the Rings“
- Eleanor R. Simpson, “The Evolution of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Portrayal of Nature: Foreshadowing Anti-speciesism”
- Leonard Neidorf, “J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fall of Arthur: Creation from Literary Criticism”
- Jeffrey J. MacLeod and Anna Smol, “Visualizing the Word: Tolkien as Artist and Writer”
Notes and documents
- Paul Tankard, “‘Akin to my own inspiration’: Mary Fairburn and the Art of Middle-earth”
- J. Silk, “A Note on the Sindarin Translation of the Name Daisy”
- Giovanni Costabile, “Stolen Pears, Unripe Apples: The Misuse of Fruits as a Symbol of Original Sin in Tolkien’s The New Shadow and Augustine of Hippo’s Confessions“
- A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Dimitra Fimi and Andrew Higgins, reviewed by Arden R. Smith
- The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Verlyn Flieger; and The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Aleksandar Mikić with the assistance of Elizabeth Currie, reviewed by Dimitra Fimi
- The Feanorian Alphabet, Part 1; Quenya Verb Structure, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Christopher Gilson and Arden R. Smith, reviewed by Nelson Goering
- Approaches to Teaching Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings and Other Works, edited by Leslie A. Donovan, reviewed by Diana Pavlac Glyer
- Laughter in Middle-earth: Humour in and around the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Thomas Honegger and Maureen F. Mann, reviewed by David Bratman
- David Bratman, Edith L. Crowe, Jason Fisher, John Wm. Houghton, John Magoun, Robin Anne Reid, “The Year’s Work in Tolkien Studies 2014”
- David Bratman, “Bibliography (In English) for 2015”
Daniel is an Officer without Portfolio and Trustee of The Tolkien Society. Elected in 2014, he is mainly responsible for the Society’s digital operations, including this website.