The Institute of Continuing Education at the University of Cambridge are offering a course entitled “Tolkien’s amazing world: understanding Middle-earth and how it came to be” this January.
The course is aimed at adults, and will be of particular interest to those teaching Tolkien and want a refresher on his key works and themes.
Taught by Dr John Lennard, the course will consist of the following sessions:
- The Strange History of The Lord of the Rings and its Legendarium
- Tolkien, Language, and History
- Tolkien’s Experiences of War
- Tolkien’s Greeness
- Tolkien’s Catholicism and Middle-earth’s Unorthodoxy
- The Bookverse and the Movieverse
- Tolkien and the Critics.
The short weekend course will run 8–10 January 2016 at Madingley Hall, Cambridge, and costs £260. If you teach at a UK state school or state-funded further education institution, a bursary of £100 is available.