The following Terms and Conditions apply to all events booked through the Tolkien Society and to Tolkien Society events booked through a third party, unless otherwise agreed in writing by an official of the Tolkien Society.
- Registration fees are not refundable, except where the event is cancelled by us, in which case they will be refunded in full.
- Charges for meals and accommodation will be refunded in full if a cancellation is received in writing by the Bookings Officer before the advertised closing date for booking the relevant meal or accommodation.
- Charges for meals and accommodation may be refunded at our discretion if the cancellation is received after the closing date. The refund in these circumstances may only be a partial refund.
- Where we cancel or fail to provide meals we will refund in full the amount paid for that meal. If we cancel or fail to provide accommodation we will refund in full the amount paid for those nights accommodation.
- Attendance at events and provision of meals and or accommodation is subject to payment being received in full by the Society’s Bookings Officer by the appropriate dates advertised for the event. Partly paid registration fees will not be refunded, and partly paid fees for meals and or accommodation will be made as set out in paragraphs 2 and 3 only if notice of cancellation has been received. If you pay by bank transfer the amount received by the Society is the amount after deduction of any bank charges. If you pay in a currency other than British pounds the amount received by the Society is the amount after conversion to British pounds and the deduction of any charges.
- In the event that a payment is rejected by any bank or credit card company prior to the closing date for an event the Society will cancel the booking to which it relates. A fresh booking will be made subject to availability on receipt of valid payment of the full fee (and at the Society’s discretion, payment of any additional costs incurred by the Society because of because of the rejection of the payment). If a payment is rejected by any bank or credit card company after the closing date for an event you will still owe the Society the full amount together with the amount of any additional costs incurred by the Society.
- If you paid by credit card or debit card any refund will be made to that card. If you paid by credit card the refund will include a refund of the transactions fee (2.4% + 20p if paid online, or 5% if not) that applied to the amount being refunded. All other refunds will be made by cheque in British pounds drawn on a United Kingdom bank. We will not refund the £6 conversion charge where you made the original payment in a foreign currency. At your request we will hold your refund for application towards membership payments or fees for future events. No interest will be payable to you by the Society.
- The Society reserves the right to exclude people from any event, or any part of the event where:
- their behaviour may put the safety of attendees, or others, or buildings or other property at risk or;
- their behaviour may bring the Society or the event into disrepute or;
- we are instructed to do so by the venue manager(s) or;
- we believe that they may be breaking the law.
- Attendees are required to follow the instructions of the Society’s volunteers managing the event and those of any stewards appointed by them. Attendees are required to follow the instructions of the venue manager’s staff.
- We may refuse to accept registrations for any event at the Society’s sole discretion.
- Under no circumstances will we be liable for attendees travel costs or for the cost of any accommodation that was not booked and paid for through the Society.
- Where accommodation is booked and paid for via the Society, the attendee agrees to pay any charges that they authorise to be made to their room account. Payment should be made direct to the venue before departure. If the attendee fails to pay all or part of the costs that they authorise to be made to their room account and the Society pays some or all of the unpaid amount then the Society may recover that amount plus all costs resulting from its recovery from the attendee.
- Photography, filming, video recording or sound recording of or at any part of the event for commercial purposes is forbidden unless written permission of the Society is obtained in advance of the event. Photography, filming, video recording or sound recording for private use is permitted provided that those being photographed, filmed or recorded have agreed and the photograph, filming or recording does not interfere with the enjoyment of the event by others. Where the recording is not being made for private use a fee may be payable. Specific restrictions on photography, filming or recording may be announced or published for individual events or parts of events which you must abide by. If, subsequent to an event, you wish to use for some other purpose photographs, films or recordings which you originally made for private use then you must first obtain the Society’s permission in writing and a fee may be payable; you may also have to seek the permission those featured in the photographs, films or recordings.Permission from the Tolkien Society for photography, filming, video recording or sound recording of, or at any part of, the event does not imply copyright permission of the works photographed, filmed or recorded. Copyright in lectures, art, panel discussions and entertainments does not necessarily belong to the Tolkien Society. It is your responsibility to seek copyright permissions from performers, artists, lecturers and other copyright holders. Permission must be gained for “private use”, as well as “commercial use”.Commercial use includes “not-for-profit purposes”; which in turn includes such things as fanzines, community television, hospital radio. This list is not exhaustive.
Note that for the purposes of the “Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000” event bookings are: “a contract for the provision of accommodation, transport, catering or leisure services, where the supplier undertakes, when the contract is concluded, to provide these services on a specific date or within a specific period” which means there is no right to cancel.